Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I see it’s been awhile since I updated and felt like I should at least let ya’ll know I am back. Well, not completely back, more at half-speed, but better than nothing. ::smile::

My surgery was successful, in that I didn’t incur any complications. However, my road has not ended. You see, the surgery was for removal of a very large tumor that used to be my thyroid. Two weeks later, I received the results of the post-surgery biopsy and the news wasn’t what I’d hoped for. Folks, no easy way to say it, but I have cancer.

The good news is that they think they got it all, but I will have to undergo more tests and a special radiation treatment (called RAI 131), followed by a total body scan to determine if the cancer has metastasized.

If you Google the RAI 131 treatment for hurtle cell carcinoma, you’ll note I have to be in isolation for a period of time, since I will be radioactive. Yep. That’s me, Radioactive Girl. I joke that now I will glow in the dark, but in reality, I probably won’t. I hope.

Not sure if I will attain any superpowers with my radioactivity, but should you read of a woman in a glowing cape shooting arcs of light beams from her fingertips…or anywhere else, well, I’m just sayin’. LOL.

Gosh, the writer in me is really itching to pen a story about a woman with cancer who becomes a superhero. Who knows, I just might jot down story notes between radiation treatments. :)

Anyway, this is nothing more than a side path of my journey before I get back on the main road. I plan to rest, read, and write when I can, and when I feel like it. I am even doing edits on some of my upcoming books, taking my time to make the stories the best they can be and enjoying the process.
Hey, I might actually learn something! LOL.

To those that have emailed me with notes of encouragement or get well wishes, I want to say how much I appreciated that. ((hugs))

With much love,
Cass

No comments: