Thursday, July 7, 2011

Reading Outside Your Genre

I find it a nice change of pace to switch things up and read outside my genre. For those of you who follow my various blogs, you know historical novels are not my favorite cuppa tea. But every now and then I get the urge to try something different outside my comfort zone. The latest book I finished fits the description very well.

Available as a free read at B&N online for the Nook, I downloaded a story called The Fox, by author Arlene Radasky. The book (although it does have paranormal elements) is a sweeping historical romance set in part during the time of the Roman empire's occupation of Britain. The story is told through the eyes of two main characters, Jahna (a Celt) and Aine (a modern day archeologist).

Perhaps the story appealed to me because I'm part Celt, or that I liked the way the story moved between the two characters, separated by time. But whatever the reason, I soon found myself engrossed in the book, wondering what would happen next. This is not a 'light' book you'd pick up for a quick read, but it will stop and make you think about the obstacles women have faced throughout history and appreciate the struggles they made so we can have the gifts we have today.

The Fox is also available on itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/bw/podcast/the-fox-a-free-audiobook-by/id283539821

No comments: