Monday, October 8, 2012

Sit and Read A Spell Excerpt and Contest

One of the first ebooks I penned was I Put A Spell On You. The story was about a guy who used to spend the summers with his grandparents and of the girl next door he fell in love with and would watch through his bedroom window. It was a story about unrequited love and passionate desire. Of how you never forget your first love and sometimes wonder if there's a chance you can go back and make it work.

But something was missing. Sure I had strong characters, and the required amount of conflict. But it needed a spark to give it magic.

The minute I realized the missing element was magic, the story came together in a single week. I made the heroine a witch, even better, a hereditary witch with a witchy sister and witchy parents. The heroine would own a magic and herbal shop with her sister. I wanted to make this a rom com in addition to erotic, so I thought about it and gave the witch her cat and used him as a comedic device.

While writing one of the final scenes, the group CCR came on the oldies station and I thought the song playing would make the perfect title. The excerpt below is from my little witchy story, I Put A Spell On You.


I Put A Spell On You
by Cassandra Curtis

“I could use some help here, Mia.” Tess Warner balanced on her tiptoes and tried once more to shove the box back on the top shelf.

“Sorry, didn’t see you struggling there.”

The sisters finished unpacking the crate and stocking the shelves
.
“I don’t suppose you’ve seen my ladder?” Tess glanced around.

“Nope. Maybe you should go borrow Sebastian’s.”

“I’d rather eat a cow.”

“That’s pretty bad—you being a vegetarian and all.” Mia bit back a laugh. Tess would only take so much teasing.

“Don’t even think it.” Finished with the new stock, Tess rearranged the potion bottles so that they were back in alphabetical order. “I decided to put the past behind us and go say hello yesterday, but he was too involved staring down Cheerleader Tina’s cleavage.”

“Why, if I didn’t know better I’d say you sounded jealous. It’s been over ten years since high school. Tina Talinsky can’t help showing off her new boob job. Heck, even I stared and I’m straight!”

“Har, har. Well, I can’t stand that overblown walking ego. He only masquerades as a human being.”

“Oh, come on. You had a thing for him once—admit it.”

“Never. He may think he’s God’s gift to women, but I asked the Goddess to return the gift.”

“And she did. Right back to you.” Mia smiled at her sister. Tess had gotten a full measure of their great-grandma Elwena’s pixie heritage. Only five foot one in boots, Tess always complained about getting screwed in the gene pool. Short blonde curls covered her head in disarray. Her cornflower blue eyes were large for her heart-shaped face and dainty chin. But it was her slightly canted ears that drew whispers.

“Very funny. I remember those summers—even if you don’t.” Finished with the potion bottles, she started straightening the willow wood besoms in the oak barrel.

“I know he razzed you a lot, but you didn’t see what I saw when he teased you.”

Tess turned, hand on hip. “And what was that?”

“The bulge in his jeans!” Mia dodged the broom Tess used to swat at her. Both women giggled like schoolgirls.

“Oh, I did more than see it—I felt it, remember?”

“That’s right, the infamous kiss.”

“You’re just jealous.” Tess placed the wood besom back in the barrel.

“I still can’t understand why you slapped him.”

“That’s because you’re a hussy, sister mine.”

“Guilty as charged and loving every minute of it.”

“Does Jake know?” Tess asked, laughing.

A chime rang at the front door. They had a customer. Mia nodded to Tess and walked to the front of the store and the pastry counter. She doubted their early morning visitor came for the beeswax candles or dragon’s blood. Her jaw dropped open when she realized who it was in their store.

“Oh my…” She trailed off, eyeing the broad expanse of smooth muscles and tanned flesh. If it weren’t for Jake, her new husband, she would be sorely tempted. She envied her sister.

“Mia Warner all grown up and breathtakingly beautiful.”

“Sebastian Matthews. Wondered when you would make it over here. I saw you moving in last week. Welcome back.”

“Thanks. How have you been?”

“Not bad. But the last name isn’t Warner anymore. Got married this May.” She proudly flashed her diamond-encrusted wedding band.

“Congratulations. Who’s the lucky guy? Anyone I’d remember?”

“Nope. My husband bought the old Erikson house last year. Jake is a writer—paranormal thrillers.”

“Don’t tell me, he came in here to do a little witchy research and saw you. Probably forgot to take notes.” Sebastian grinned, glancing around.

“Looking for someone?”

“Your sister.”

“A wise man would put his shirt back on first.”

“And cover my best asset?”

Mia tilted her head, and checked out his firm little ass.

“Ah, I stand corrected.” He winked at her and started to put on the T-shirt, but a familiar voice stopped him. He looked over the bunched neckline to his left.

Mia smiled—let the games begin.

“I’m sorry, but you need shoes and a shirt to be serviced.”

“Is that a promise?” He pulled the shirt over his head, covering his pecs, and rippled abs.

The minute the sentence flew out her mouth, Tess realized someone could mistake her meaning. She flushed as the man twisted her comment into a double entendre and wondered if he’d hold her to her word. A shiver snaked down her spine at the wanton thought. His skin was taut, golden perfection, the muscles rock hard.

When the half-naked customer finished pulling on his T-shirt, she got a good look at his face and swore under her breath. Sebastian Matthews—figures. No one else had the chutzpah to use sexual banter like a weapon and trade blows with her.

“You filled out nice, Tess.”

“Wish I could say the same for you,” she lied. Damn, it wasn’t fair. The cute boy had grown into one hell of a gorgeous man. Sun-streaked brown hair fell in thick waves an inch or two shy of brushing the collar of his T-shirt. On the surface, his dark blue eyes twinkled, reflecting humor. A deeper look revealed mesmerizing secrets and barely restrained sexual hunger. Bedroom eyes.

“Sounds like a challenge, Ms. Warner. Want to play show and tell? I could show you how much I’ve grown.”

“And I could tell you to shove it where the sun don’t shine, pretty boy.”

“Hmm…have to think about that one, sweetheart. Didn’t know you were game for that sort of thing.”

Her sister tried to smother her snort of laughter. Warmth crept up her neck and cheeks. She’d love to wipe that smirk off his face. Maybe a little saltpeter… She used to be better at this—taking him down a notch, putting him in his place. He seemed to enjoy embarrassing and shocking her…making her blush.

“Sorry about your grandparents, by the way. They were lovely people.” There—formal, businesslike and polite.

“Yes, unlike me.” He winked at Mia, continuing, “I miss both of them. But we weren’t talking about my grandparents, were we? You changed the subject, Tess. And that’s against the rules.”

“The rules? You actually play by a set of rules, Mr. Matthews?”

His lips curved in a slow, predatory smile. She refused to spar with him anymore today. Time for her to regroup. “I have to make some calls. It’s been nice, but I have a business to run. I’m sure you understand.”

She turned to her sister. “Mia, try to interest Mr. Matthews in purchasing some honeybuns. He needs to bulk up on carbs.” Her lips quirked. “He’s a little scrawny.” Satisfied with her parting shot, she casually walked to the back storeroom, a tiny grin on her face.

###

Did you read the excerpt? 

If you did then you should know what Tess was straightening in the oak barrels. Leave a comment with your guess and if you're correct and your name is drawn, you'll win the prize pictured here. 

Contest ends midnight, Sunday, October 14, 2012 and the winner announced that week. Remember to check back to see if you've won. Good Luck!





Must be 18+ to enter. The odds of winning depend upon the number of participants. Contest void where prohibited by law. I strive to make my prize winners happy! However, as with all my contests, it is the participant’s responsibility to check the blog to see if their name is announced as a winner, and/or to respond to winning notification emails in order to claim your prize. Not responsible for lost/stolen mail.







11 comments:

Two Voices Publishing said...

Tess was straightening the willow wood besoms in the oak barrel. [Loved the excerpt!]

Debby said...

willow wood besoms - maybe Sounds like a great story.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Mary Kirkland said...

She was straightening the willow wood besoms in the oak barrel.

miztik_rose@yahoo.com

Donna said...

She was straightening the willow wood besoms in the oak barrel. Love the banter between the characters!
Donna
donnafisk at bellsouth.net

Unknown said...

She was straightening the willow wood besoms in the oak barrel. I loved the excerpt and I would love to read the whole book! The broom is so cute and I would love to win, thanks so much for the chance!

hotcha12 said...

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm straightening the beams. Awesome cass!

lindarb49@hotmail.com

Pamk said...

Willow wood bedims whatever the heck that is. Story sounds great. Id love to read it.
scrtsbpal at yahoo dot com

hotcha12 said...

GOOD LUCK ALL!

Ms. Harris said...

Willow wood besoms. Lol can't wait to read it!

Ms. Harris said...

I was too curious about what a "willow wood besom" was and googled it. It is the classic witches broom! Lol! I love it!

Cassandra said...

This contest is now closed and the winner has been announced. Thank you to everyone who entered.