Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Eighth Season Starts Tonight

Those who follow my blog know one of my favorite shows is AGT (America's Got Talent). I admit part of my attraction to the show is seeing Howie Mandel squirm a little every time someone attempts touching him, but also I like Howard Stern. Why? Honestly I have no clue. He's crass, arrogant, opinionated, and (on his own show) vulgar. But more importantly, and say it with me: He's the King of All Media. :D  Actually, I find myself nodding with Howard's assessment of most acts on the show, last year's ball buster act withstanding. If I had to speculate, I'd say I like Howard because he "tells it like it is" and isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes in, screw the consequences, and that's powerful stuff these days.

I also used to like Sharon Osbourne, and still do, but since she left the show, I admit I'm worried about the chemistry with this new line-up of Mel B. and Heidi Klum. I'm not sure if the producers picked the right people (took 2 to replace Sharon). Since so many of the acts are dancers, I think it would have been better to have a choreographer as judge. Yes, I know Mel B. (formerly known as Scary Spice) is a dancer and singer, but is she known for her choreography? I don't think so. That said, I think of the two, Heidi Klum was truly the most miscast. How can a fashion model/TV Fashion show judge accurately judge variety acts or singers?

I'm sure I'll be watching tonight, but will AGT be able to keep me and the rest of their fans watching throughout the summer? Debatable. American Idol lost me years ago with judges' antics/bickering/revolving door bullshit. It seems AGT is ready to follow the same course, but we'll find out in due time if they've hit on a winning formula.
 

America's Got Talent airs Tuesdays 8/7c on NBC.



No comments: